Monday 1 July 2013

It’s been a year – 1st anniversary


Since I started this blog – wow how time wizzes by.
This was my first post.

Thank you for all the comments - I do enjoy reading them; welcome to all my followers, for those of you just popping in for a quick look - why not leave a comment and become a follow.

Challenge #1 was to reduce food spending – we are now in the swing of things after a year of looking for yellow stickers, buying meat when it’s on special and putting it in the freezer, bulk buying – stock pile non-perishables when they are on special.  We spend £500- per month; I think it can be reduced but that will depend on everyone on the Hen house being on side.  [Yes you, you there I know you read this?!?]
Challenge #2 build-up emergency funds. This is added to each month and is now £2,000 – it has been used a couple of times and then replaced. I am aiming for £3,000 by year end.
Challenge #3 debt snowballing.  This was perhaps the most revealing; shocking to start with when we realised how much debt we were in - putting it on paper in black & white is very cathartic.  We started with six credit cards and owned over £54k between us; we are now down to four and owe just over £34k (still way too much), a third card will be paid off in the next 3 months, the final payment on the car loan is in September after which snowballing on card #6 can start in earnest.  This card has the lowest interest but I will look at if a balance transfer to a completed card is viable to save.
Sealed pot challenge is continuing;
as I don’t spend much in cash what goes into the tin is limited but I am always on the lookout for £2 coins and £5 notes – both Daddy & SonnyHen feed the tin when they get either.  I weighted the tin back in April and it was 7.1kgs today its 7.5kgs – I have added all this;
 in the spirit of challenge I didn’t count it but it must be around £120.

MummyHen X

 

4 comments:

  1. Wow - I just read your first post. Your spend on food shopping last June was more than my monthly income!
    Congratulations on what you have achieved financially in the last year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really admire how well you've done in clearing your debts and reducing your monthly spending in one year. It must have taken a lot of self-discipline. Keep up the good work, it is very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Bloggiversary - you're doing well.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete